University of Southampton
Southampton - United Kingdom
Our reputation for world-class teaching and research is reflected in our high ranking in the university league tables. We have a diverse and vibrant student community and continue to invest in our campuses and facilities.
League table rankings
- in the top 1% of universities worldwide (QS world university rankings 2013)
- 86th in the world (of 800) and 16th in the UK (QS world university rankings 2013)
- 16th (of 123) in the Complete University Guide 2015 with 12 of our subject areas in the top 10
- 19th (of 116) in the Guardian University Guide 2015
- 87% of our students are satisfied with the overall quality of their course (National Student Survey 2013)
- 88% of our students are satisfied with the quality of teaching they receive (National Student Survey 2013)
- 89% of our students are satisfied with the quality of learning resources available to them (National Student Survey 2013)
Our degree programmes
- Undergraduate degree programmes: more than 200, in 70 subject areas ranging from accounting and aeronautics to web science and zoology.
- Postgraduate programmes: more than 200, covering a huge range of taught courses and PhD programmes.
- total number of students: 23,000
- total number of postgraduate students and researchers: 4,000
- gender split: 56% female, 44% male
- total number of international students: 5,000
- countries represented: more than 130
Campuses and facilities
- We have seven campuses - five in Southampton, one in Winchester and the new University of Southampton Malaysia Campus in EduCity@Iskandar.
- As well as traditional teaching methods our students have access to virtual learning environments (VLEs), enabling them to download course materials, complete assignments and submit coursework from any internet-enabled computer or device. There are also facilities for remote group working.
- We continue to invest in our campuses, creating state-of-the-art facilities for our researchers and students. Award-winning developments include the EEE building (£18m, 2007), Mountbatten building (£55m, 2009) and Life Sciences Building (£50m, 2010). The new £116m Boldrewood Campus opened in 2014 and is home to the Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute. Our five libraries contain over three million books, journals and reports. Most journals and around 450,000 e-books are available electronically.
Our sports facilities are among the best of any UK university and include a swimming pool, well-equipped gyms at our sports centre and in some halls of residence and more than 20 grass and synthetic pitches. We also offer water sports such as sailing, kayaking and windsurfing
The University is organised into eight Faculties, each housing a number of subject areas. Subject areas are listed in alphabetical order below; see the left menu for details of each Faculty.
In today's ageing society, the experience of people as they grow older has become an essential focus of research. Our researchers are commissioned by policymakers worldwide to investigate a wide variety of issues surrounding ageing.
Southampton is one of the leading European centres for studying archaeology, ranked fifth in the RAE 2008. With world-class research and field projects across the globe investigating human origins, British prehistory, Imperial Rome and the modern world, we have specialist interests in the archaeology of world societies and civilisations, an international maritime focus, and digital visualisations of evidence.
Audiology is the healthcare science of hearing and balance disorders, the primary aim of which is to help people overcome the barriers placed in their way as a consequence of hearing or balance problems. At Southampton, our aim is to develop the future leaders of audiology.
From global warming to life-threatening infections, our world-leading research focuses on today’s key challenges. Working in collaboration with different disciplines and with other Universities, private industry and the public sector, we see science as a means to achieve real-life benefits.
Southampton is one of the best places in the UK for chemistry teaching and research. It is home to staff and students from across the UK and European Union, as well as from other parts of the world.
Economic decisions affect us all. Our academics probe the workings of global economies and investigate how the choices of individuals make a difference too.
Education (Southampton Education School)
The Southampton Education School is advancing policy and practice in education, teaching and learning around the world. Through research we aim to respond to some of today’s key issues; how people will work, the health of future generations, the issue of social equality and how to ensure a flow of people with the science, technology, engineering and maths skills to help address environmental and other challenges.
Electronics and Computer Science
Electronics and Computer Science at Southampton is the UK’s leading academic department integrating computer science, electronics, and electrical engineering. With around 550 researchers, ECS has unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise in world-leading research, new developments and their applications.
Engineering at Southampton is a world-class centre for education, research and enterprise. We represent the largest and most diverse engineering and groupings in the UK. Our expertise looks deep below the Earth's crust, reaches into space and encompasses everything in between.
Our courses cover the full range of English studies from Jane Austen to Benjamin Zephaniah. We undertake ground-breaking research and teaching in areas as diverse as medieval and renaissance studies, travel writing, film studies, creative writing, and international writing; we have close links with Chawton House Library, with its collection of women's writing. In the most recent National Student Survey we scored highest for English in all Russell Group research universities with 98% student satisfaction.
Our students study in areas of enormous relevance to society - environmental change, biodiversity, aquatic resources and sustainable environmental management. Our teaching and research cuts cross traditional boundaries of science and engineering, and our graduates have career opportunities which can contribute to making the world a better place.
Film Studies at Southampton is internationally recognised as a centre of research excellence, with a wide range of interests across Hollywood, European and world cinema, as well as cultural management. We are consistently top in The Guardian University Guide for the highest spend per student and the best staff-to-student ratio, and in the top three for student satisfaction in The Times Good University Guide.
Geography and Environment
From global environmental change to economic transformation, our staff are actively involved in researching the major issues affecting the contemporary world.
Health Sciences at the University of Southampton is training the next generation of professionals in nursing, midwifery, health and social care, physiotherapy, podiatry and occupational therapy.
We are internationally recognised for our research excellence, ranked in the top ten of the 2008 RAE. Our historians have global distinction, as do our archives including the Wellington, Mountbatten and Anglo-Jewish collections. Our teaching covers a broad chronological range, from the ancient world to the present, covering British, European, Asian, African, American and Jewish History. We received an overall satisfaction rating of 94 per cent in the most recent National Student Survey.
Law (Southampton Law School)
We are proud to be one of the leading law schools in the country with a worldwide reputation for excellence in education and research. We have a strong network of links with business and industry and are home to some of the most prestigious research centres in the world.
Management (Southampton Management School)
We are one of the UK’s leading management schools, with high academic standards and an impressive success rate in educating tomorrow’s business leaders.
Mathematical Sciences at Southampton unites the study and teaching of pure and applied mathematics, statistics and operational research into one leading department. Renowned for the quality of our research, we are one of the broadest communities of professional mathematicians, students and support staff in the UK.
Medicine is a thriving and ambitious multidisciplinary faculty - a national leader in medical education, with an outstanding reputation for its combined expertise in research and teaching. It leads innovative learning and discovery across the lifecourse from before birth to the elderly, by investing in multi-disciplinary research teams, creative educational programmes and initiating external partnerships and collaborations. Its research encompasses the full spectrum, from fundamental discovery science to clinical innovation, and it has a particularly strong reputation for translating new discoveries into clinical practice.
We are a leading international centre for teaching and research on languages, culture and society. The department includes specialists in literature, culture, society, politics, history, anthropology and linguistics (including Global Englishes, multilingualism and SLA). We are third in The Guardian’s 2013 University Guide - our seventh consecutive year in the top five - and were second in the RAE 2008 in European Studies.
We are one of the UK’s leading departments for research (ranked fourth in the RAE 2008) and run an ambitious Music teaching programme. We offer excellent opportunities for student performance and composition, making daily use of the University's Turner Sims concert hall (Turner Sims) as well as other venues in and around Southampton. We received an overall satisfaction rating of 91% in the most recent National Student Survey.
Ocean and Earth Science, National Oceanography Centre Southampton
The University has a well established reputation for its outstanding research and degree courses in ocean and Earth science. We are also known for our friendly and informal atmosphere, which affords students a stimulating environment in which to learn and acquire essential scientific and key work skills.
Optoelectronics Research Centre
The Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC) is one of the world’s leading institutes for photonics research. We have a vibrant community of researchers led by some of the leading figures in the field of photonics. We have contributed significantly to the growth of the photonics industry, including the technology that underpins the internet as well as many solutions in other disciplines.
Philosophy at Southampton is internationally renowned for its research in areas such as Aesthetics, Normativity and the History of Philosophy. Our broad-ranging, flexible curriculum includes extensive contact hours and small-group teaching, and is delivered by highly committed lecturers who are world experts. Our Philosophy BA received 100 per cent student satisfaction in the most recent National Student Survey, placing us first in the UK.
Physics and Astronomy
Physics & Astronomy has a long standing reputation for research of international excellence in the fields of Astronomy, Quantum, Light & Matter and Theoretical Particle Physics. We are also dedicated to providing high quality physics teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Politics & International Relations
Our world is changing rapidly. Academics and students investigate how political theories are evolving as people respond to new challenges.
Psychology at Southampton has received accolades from the Centre for Higher Education for the impact of its research, quality of publications, the high number of academics editing influential journals, as well as the large number of international staff.
Our academics are involved in cutting-edge research on the major issues of our time, often collaborating with colleagues in other leading international universities. Our teaching is informed by our research findings, which means that Southampton students benefit from the latest knowledge and current thinking in each academic area.
Social Statistics & Demography
To understand society, you need the skills and tools to analyse exactly what is happening. Our academics are at the forefront of developing new ways to understand the world we live in.
Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology
Including Sociology, Social Policy, Anthropology, Criminology and Web Science. Policymakers across the globe need to know how society works and how it is evolving. Our academics investigate and uncover the truths about modern life.
Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute
S3RI is a school-level University Research Unit which is a centre for research on core statistical methodology for generic problems and substantive applications, particularly in the social sciences, engineering, health and medicine.
Winchester School of Art
We are proud to be one of the UK’s leading art and design institutions and part of the world-renowned University of Southampton. We are an international centre for ideas and have a long history going back almost 150 years.
Scholarships for undergraduate students
All of our Faculties offer scholarships to EU and international undergraduate applicants based on academic achievement. Our Southampton Merit Scholarships are currently available for 2014 entry and for 2015 entry. In order to be eligible, you will need to meet the relevant criteria for the year you start your studies, and you will need to select the University of Southampton as your firm choice through UCAS.
Southampton Merit Scholarships for EU students - Students applying for 2015 entry
Our Southampton Merit Scholarships for UK and EU students are worth £1000*, and are awarded to the highest-achieving, students across the University for the first year of study.
Southampton Merit Scholarships for international students - Students applying for 2015 entry
Our Southampton Merit Scholarships for international (non-EU) students worth £1000 per A-level subject* and are awarded for each year of study. Scholarships will be offered for all degree programmes except Medicine and NHS-funded Health Science programmes. There is no need to apply, but to qualify you will need to meet the following criteria:
1. You must exceed your stated offer from the University of Southampton in one or more subjects.
2. You must achieve a minimum of AAA (A-levels) or equivalent in three subjects, or an equivalent standard in your final overall grade (for some subjects this may include your portfolio or audition).
3. You must make the University of Southampton your firm acceptance to be eligible.
4. 'Your offer' will be the highest of any offers you are made, should you transfer to another course. In certain cases where a group of programmes share a first semester any scholarship will be based on the highest offer for that group of programmes.
*If you have studied an equivalent school leaving qualification, the scholarships may apply to your final grades in individual subjects or to your final overall grade, depending on your qualification.
There are also the following conditions to the Scholarship for international students:
· Where the Scholarship is based on individual subject grades, a maximum of three subjects will be eligible.
· The maximum sum available per student is £3000 a year.
· The sum is payable at the end of the first term of study for each year of your course.
· To be eligible for the Scholarship after year 1, you must have achieved the necessary academic standard to progress to the next year of study.
· The Scholarship is not payable for any year of study that has to be repeated.
Some illustrative examples:
· Your University offer is AAA or equivalent, you achieve AAA = £0 per year
· Your University offer is AAB or equivalent, you achieve AAA = £1000 per year
· Your University offer is AAA or equivalent, you achieve A*A*A = £2000 per year
· Your University offer is AAB or equivalent, you achieve A*A*A = £3000 per year
Tuition fees for 2014/2015 entry
Tuition fees vary depending on the course and level of study and are between £13,290 and £31,500* for the academic year 2014/15: